Re: A bit of spontaneous over night healing.

Discussion in 'Purgatory' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL!  You misunderstood.  I didn't mean that you broke the bone subconsciously.  Rather, is it possible that you could have been grinding your teeth in your sleep and broke the tip off?  Bear in mind that sometimes we may be experiencing something physical in our sleep but the faint sensory input in our sleep state can be misrepresented in the crazy world of dreams!  0:)

By the way, if you are referring to nocireptors being whatever you said they are then I guess Mr. Sherrington's discovery from his neurological research and experimentation must have been imagined or no more real than what you are implying in your ment... sorry... dental case.

Anyway... Mr. Campbell's pseudo-science might provide an answer to your baffling experience.  I happen to find what he mentions (especially pertaining to scientific experiments) a bunch of complete ####### these days.  :\|

Be well! ( ):)

2. novice

novice Navigator Staff Member

Summerlander-
    We welcome all points of view here and do our best not to judge. Some members fervently believe in new age philosophy, others prefer the more scientific approach and still others find themselves somewhere in between. Regardless, we all learn and grow as we share experiences and look for answers and explanations. You are more than welcome to explain your thoughts and suggestions or post links/paraphrase articles that contradict something someone else posted. However, all of that can be accomplished without being condescending or demeaning.

3. Bee

Bee Navigator Staff Member

Hi Summerlander,

Actually what I was implying was that'd I'd stuck a finger in my mouth and broke it off that way.  :)

Out of interest...How can you grind a tooth that isn't there anymore? If a tooth is pointing up to a 12 'o'clock position, the piece of bone was sticking out to a 9 'o'clock, and into my tongue, I think grinding on it would be physically impossible  :-o

Ah, you missed the ironic humor there. It was a spin on the consequences of aging bones, how they like to ache more as we age.

Well if Mr Campbell doesn't float it for you, then that's ok. I'm not biased to any particular doctrine of thought. Everything from the dhammapada to Mr Holmer J Simpson, from Dao De Jing to quantum mechanics is my playground.

All the best,

Bee

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ahhh... so this is where my post has gone.  Ok, fair enough.  But Bee, let me remind you that what you have described is still your experience and it doesn't prove anything to me in any way.

On Mr Campbell... it is not a case that it doesn't float it for me...LOL!  It is more a matter of him being plain wrong.  First off, I thought of his theory when I was 15 years of age.  Secondly, observation doesn't mean that consciousness alters the outcome of the double slit experiment.  What they mean by observation is "measurement".  If something is measured then it will affect it, like the light bulb device that affects the electron/photon pattern in the double-slit experiment.  It is not consciousness as Tom has his laymen fans believe that affects the outcome.  It is the act of measuring.

In the physics community he is very much known as a crackpot.  Just thought you should be aware of this.  Ta-ta! :-D

5. Fred

Fred Site Admin Staff Member

I don't think Bee was trying convince you of anything.

As far as consciousness and the double slit, which is a different topic, I'm not aware of any firm evidence for this either.

My understanding is that it is mostly an interpretation of quantum physics at this point, and there are various.

The Von Neumann\Wigner interpretation (consciousness causes collapse) is just one of them. Within it, there are yet different variations and views.

Dean Radin reports some success in a soon to be published article. It will be interesting to read what he found.

But I suspect it will be a small difference, given previous similar research in this area, which was not very successful:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/jo ... ibison.pdf

But apart from experiments such as these, the really mind boggling part is that measurement has such an effect in the original double-slit experiment, which challenges classical physics at its core, as well as realism and materialism.

There is not really any consensus on how far to take it from there, but everyone is free to try ideas as far as I'm concerned without having to worry about being called a crackpot at every corner.

I do agree presenting some of these ideas as fact is not always a good idea, and inaccuracies presented as such need to be corrected. There is still a lot we do not know.

But in this face of this uncertainty, opting by default for a realist or materialistic perspective, just because it's safe and we're used to it, does not seem right to me.

In any case, there are other ways to make this connection between quantum physics and consciousness (including perception, cognitive functioning and neuronal activity in the brain).

None of this necessarily depends on the  "collapse by consciousness" idea.

Some interpretations don't even include the idea of collapse, and yet place consciousness at the base of everything (Bohm). 

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, Fred, but it is also the fact that what he said happens in said experiment... doesn't happen.  When he says that if the detectors are present  but we don't look at the recorded data that the interference pattern returns... no...lol... no way. :\|

7. Fred

Hi Summer,

Well, like I said, you're free to point out inaccuracies, although I'm not sure why you seem so amused by it.

I don't know the exact details of his book, nor have I seen the video you refer to, so I won't comment on his work. Don't give me the link please. It's not interesting to me. 

I was trying to touch on something more interesting in my last post, for me anyways, which is that the outcome of the original double slit experiment is amazing and completely crazy in itself, whether or not consciousness is responsible for the collapse.

Fred

8. alanl

alanl Seeker

reminds me of this quote:

"Anyone who says that they understand Quantum Mechanics does not understand Quantum Mechanics"- Richard Feynman

I find the double-slit experiment incredible like most people that know about it but understanding it is another matter. I know someoen who uses the quantum cookbook in his job for decades and I asked him and he said to me 'I use the recipes and they work brilliantly well but I have learned not to question *why* they work and just accept it that they do' - fair enough :)

9. Bee

Bee Navigator Staff Member

There was a program on tv a while ago, here in the U.K. I know there's a branch which has been postulating that we're living in a holographic universe. One guy thought they'd found a particular sound (or something like that(energy signature?)), was building a machine to confirm it was the emitter of the holo-projector. Don't know if the test has been done as yet?

10. CFTraveler

CFTraveler Navigator Staff Member

I'm a fan of the holographic theory (for no good reason, it just tickles me just right), but I'm not sure why some proponents want to see it as an 'artificially created' thing- It's like discovering lightning and working to find the batteries where it had to come from..... I think a black hole's event horizon is an excellent natural source for an 'emitter', since it radiates as much as it 'sucks in', and there are many opportunities for beam interference with itself.
    But it's just my opinion, obviously, I don't know enough to know if my idea is even feasible. (i.e. I don't know what I'm talking about.)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL!  Feynman said that ages ago.  Many more discoveries have been made since.  The double slit is not as mysterious as certain people make it out to be.  I can assure you there is no magic or supernatural forces at work there and it can be explained in very simple terms.  To put it simply, any kind of measuring will affect the state of something and thus change its behaviour/interaction.  To add to this, there is a lot of tripe written about the uncertainty principle too.

I've tested the waters here and I can see that this is just another site exploiting the laymen who haven't got a clue about quantum physics and use their ignorance to make an impression and make-believe that the supernatural and magic are realities.

I'm deleting my account here right now and staying a million miles away from this ignominious BS-hole.

12. CFTraveler

CFTraveler Navigator Staff Member

As always, all class.

13. omcasey

omcasey Navigator Staff Member

It is good of him to recognize the energy is not a match and move on, this place is rather sacred to me.

14. Fred

Probably a good call, although for obscure reasons given the long delay in between posts.

I don't know when it happened when theorizing about these topics ever became so personal.

Perhaps some people become so absorbed into it, that any distinction between the idea and normal interaction with others start to blur.

If it's inspired by passion alone, that's one thing, but that's not always the impression I get, especially when introducing yourself here as a representative of an organization or school of some kind.

Consequently, I'm locking this thread and leave it for posterity.

Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.